minutes of –June 4, 2009 Meeting - Mary Woltmann, president, welcome, 38 members, 2 guests
- introduction of guests
- UFO opportunity reminder
- retreat info
- July 2nd, next meeting
- Tote Class with Beth, reminder, sign up on June 13th
- road trip planned for Friday to quilt shops in Lafayette
- South LA shop hop, passports on sale July 7th, $15, available at Amelia's
- Introduced Judy Holley, quilt teacher, gave a showing of her quilts. She shall teach a New York Beauties II class on Sept. 12 to the guild, GSQA member =$20, non-members =$30. Her other circuit class: pet portraits.
- AQS - our "Para" Challenge had been accepted at the show slated for July 22-25, 2009.
- Christmas Challenge Lotto Blocks will be available at the July meeting
- Studio M opens in Denham Springs [see info in store listings]
Memory Blocks - Suzanne Elliott
Decisions to make. What do you want the end result to be?? Wall hanging or what size?? Is it square within a square or on-point, what fabrics? Use white muslin or creme'. Draw seam allowance on block to control where participants write the mementos. Use Kona fabrics for stiffness. Use freezer paper ironed to wrong side. Cut with rotary cutter. Ultra Fine point Sharpies for signatures.
Labels - Joni DeVilbiss
Remember that all quilts have value and part of the value is the history of its origin. Remember the five (5) W's of journalism - who, what, when, where, and why. The minimum info is the name of maker and for whom it is made. This can be a simple 3x5 inch muslin rectangle place on the backing. Other hints: include a narrative on how it was made and washing instructions. Attach label before quilting, then it is nearly impossible to get off. A label protects your quilt from an easy theft. "Write" your name in the quilting. Write your name hidden under the label, under the sleeve, or placed under the binding. Different types of labels: pre-made, cross stitch, machine embroidery, painted, and stamped. Try different permanent pens: Zig, Pigma, archival inks.
Quilt Diaries - use a 3-ring binder with clear page sleeves. Make/print pages with digital images of front, back of quilt, details about construction, close-up photos, designer, blocks, fabric samples, batting
BREAK - A surprise wedding reception/shower was celebrated. There was a "bride" questionnaire that each member filled out by asking questions of fellow members, such as, who eloped, made her wedding dress, married on Valentine's Day (Tommie Morden), married by justice of the peace, saw the movie Father of the Bride?, lots of cute things, plus plenty of cake, cookies, dip, and punch. It was a sweet surprise and a lot of fun. There was a tableau called 27 Dresses. Then there was a drawing for "shower gifts" - recipients were Kathy P., Stella G., Nina D., Pat K., Elaine G., Norma P., Alice F., Kathleen W., Karol G., Suzi M., Caroline D., Linda B., Suzanne E., and Joyce Perry
Birthday raffle winners: Joni, Suzi, Joyce Perry, and Cynthia,
Fat Quarter winner: Beth Jessup
Name Tag winner: Elaine Gosselin
Treasurer's report from Beth J. - the current status of the River City Guild Accounts
Balance brought forward from December, 2008 $2,260.63
Current Checkbook Balance $3,183.48
2009 Income $4,166.04
2009 Expenses 3,243.19
Currently Ahead from this time last year 922.85
SHOW AND TELL
- Joni - scrap quilti called "Fractured rails" and "Lucky Star"
- Glenda Parks - Carrie's shower quilt, memory quilt of graduation, making a double wedding ring for Carrie (newly wed), and a divorce quilt for a friend (lemons and lemonade)
- Beth - new tote "Potato Chip" bag 4 hours to make, hobo bag
- Nina - a tell about Mama's Bus tour
- Brenda Gauthier - baby quilt applique from coloring book images
- Jo Paula - 1/2 log cabin made from batiks, spool quilt for husband's aunt
- Janet Cundiff - inlaid tile quilt, Lynn R Brown class project in blue and yellow
- Judy Holley - 4 charity quilts made with Wasted Women at Quilt Corner (they take donations) make quilts for Brave heart, Hospice, BR Crisis Intervention; Chinese coins, flower power, bow ties, stars
- Joyce Perry - double wedding ring for mom. a 1st quilt category winner at 2005 GSQA show. made LSU raffle quilt for church
- Elaine Gosselin - 8-pointed star - 500 1/2 square triangles Glory Bound
- Katy P. gifts from secret sister in Ohio guild, wallet and tissue pack. made penguin fabric quilt for new niece
- Valerie Barth - tote, quilt retreat, miniature scene of clothes line
- Linda Baumann - lime, purple, & blue tote
- Marlene Lewis - round robin embroidered centers, chicken blocks from annual retreat with New Jersey friend
- Cynthia McGee - Lynn R Brown class project scrap quilt, 9-patch blocks
Reminder to bring auction items in August.