"The Quilt has redefined the tradition of quilt making in response to contemporary circumstances. A memorial, a tool for education and a work of art, the Quilt is a unique creation, an uncommon and uplifting response to the tragic loss of human life.
We make quilts for many reasons, whether happy, tragic, or momentous; they mark milestones in our lives and memories, and serve as tokens of comfort when we cannot be there for loved ones and others. The quilt transcends the whole, greater than the sum of its parts.
Quilters also fit this profile when we work together, what we accomplish is greater than what we each do individually. Sometimes it's an event, like Patti's Pillowcase Party that brings us together, or it might be a communal commemoration, like Memorial Day. Whatever inspires you to get involved, name it and move forward.
Bonnie Moates will join us at our June meeting to share the complexities of batting. In my time as a quilter, options for batting have expanded considerably, while old standbys like scrim free cotton batting are still available. Come and find out what's new and noteworthy. Activities include voting on the Split Nine Patch challenge and introduction of the Christmas Lotto. This year's theme is Cabin in the Woods.
As always, I'd love to hear your suggestions think "River City begins with me." See you soon, Renee
The Bring List
- bring your $$ for the Christmas Block kits. $2/kit.
- bring your $100 deposit for Aug. 23-26 retreat Judson Retreat Center near St. Francisville.
- bring your UFO entry quilts back for an encore performance that we may see them up close at Show & Tell - and bring your ribbons, too!! (There were 15 participants)
- bring items and monies for the Birthday Table. see Mary Ruth Fowler
- bring 1 or 2 fabrics for Fat Quarter Drawing - A choice of 3 Stones/Colors in June, either: Moonstone is a medium pink - Alexandrite is a medium green - Pearl is white/creme'
- bring & wear your Fiber Name Tag: You could win $10 !!
- bring lots of Show & Tell