Many, many thanks to everyone for their support as individuals and as groups of the Michael Young Fest...... There were countless hours of volunteer labor: cookies and cakes baked, jambalaya cooked, quilts, bags, table runners, and other items were handmade....and all donated to MYF. It was a tremendous success! It speaks so well of our quilt community.
It would have not been possible without everyone's help! You are great! Thank you! We are still working on the final tally, donations are still forthcoming, but it looks to be nearing $23,000!!! Over $3,800 was raised through the raffle alone.
We are going to have a celebration/thank you party at our September guild meeting. It will be a fun evening....WE are having a Beach Party with an end-of-summer theme....Plan on having some cake and punch, play Quilto (Beach Blanket Bingo), and view the exhibit of beautiful batik swap quilts. It will be a great meeting! Wear your flip flops, big sun glasses, and muu-muus.
And a great big welcome to our newest members! Can you believe eight more people joined our guild in August? WOW!
The nominating committee was selected at our last meeting. They will be announcing the slate of officers at the October meeting. As my presidency winds down, it's been a great 2 years, please be thinking of how you can participate in 2011 and continue to contribute some of your talents. We have a lot of opportunities available. New blood keeps our work and our opportunities fresh and inviting. Many hands lighten the burden for all.
In addition to service as an officer, there are many committees that will need chairs and members: for challenges, education/outside teachers, birthday raffle, Christmas Lotto.....the list goes on.........it gives you an opportunity to get to know other members.
One of the best things about my presidency is that I got to know so many of you, first hand, and be the recipient of your many kindnesses. You all have been so good to me. .....It has been wonderful!
See you then. Happy Quilting, Mary
PLEASE DO NOT PARK IN THE FRONT LOT - Folks, an edict from St. Paul's church officials states that we cannot fill up the front parking lot that faces Old Hammond Hwy. Because the minister and secretary come in and out at all hours and they want their parking spots. However, if you have a handicapped parking tag, you may park in the lot. You have permission to drop off "your stuff" at the front door to the hall where we meet, but please re-park your car in the back lot, asap. It is a small price to pay for such a nice facility. This rule applies to meeting days and sewing days.
the Bring list----
- Batik Swap Tops to Exhibit - Joyce Perry will hang these beauties.
- Hawaiian or Beach theme quilts, with flip flops, beach umbrellas, tropical drinks, sailboats, fish, lighthouses, or anything with sand, and your regular show & tells
- FQ's to play Quilto (1 FQ for each card) – also if you wish to contribute more FQ's, you may, they will be grouped in bundles to serve as the prizes
- Fat Quarters for Lotto drawing, "Polka-Dots" - Like that itsy-bitsy bikini in your bottom drawer, that now fits better as a head band. Any color polka-dot fabric will do. Max. of 2 entries.
- your Kathy Brown class project (**no pictures, please, Kathy's publisher, Martindale Press, asks that no images come out until the book's release (May - 2011) It's under wraps!!)
- Sept. birthday raffle gifts.
- $$$$ – there are some great bargains (handmade items) from MYFest to snatch up in case you missed them the first time.
- any sold/unsold raffle tickets to return to Suzanne Elliott
- Bring your auction items NOW. Baskets, too. October auction!
- Christmas Lotto kits are still for sale 2 different blocks $2.50/kit. Return your finished blocks for "2" chances to win. Oct. deadline- one chance. See Beth Jessup and Barbara Lankford.
- Wear Your (fiber) Name Tag - your name is then entered in a drawing for a $10 gift certificate.
- Wear Your Beachwear - straw hats, sunglasses, all the kitschy stuff you bought in Gulf Shores! Bring a colorful beach towel to drape over your chair. Be a Bahama Momma for a night!