Mary Woltmann, president, welcome, 30 members, 5 guests > 3 new members
- introduction of guests, Thanks to Beth for teaching purse class
- Lynn Roddy Brown workshop is filled, w/ a waiting list. She shall lecture Apr. 30th and teach a class May 2nd. Workshop is called Texas Two-Step. ($30) Her book $20. Show of hands for book orders.
- No sew-in date, conflicts with retreat
- Retreat news - Cynthia
- Birthday raffle - 8 gifts
- Auction in Sept., collect items and baskets
- Scrap Challenge - Suzanne Elliott. Sign up. Participants will be contacted. Packets distributed at March meeting.
- Nina Delaune and others will prepare the GSQA lotto block kits for April 18th meeting. Volunteers: Debbie, Elaine, Linda Wiggins, Cynthia, and Suzanne Elliott.
- Mar. 21st - Shop-Hop Road Trip to Scrap Happy in Kenner and the Quilting Niche in Houma. Meets where? what time?? (TBA)
- Susan Mueller will lecture in Clinton on Feb. 11th
Click here to see pictures.
PARA Challenge entries:
- "Paraphernalia - Barbara Lankford - small wall hanging done an inspiration done the night before with beading and embellishments.
- "Parasol" - Debbie Ingram - (2nd place) used boning to make umbrella stand out
- "Parallelogram" - Marilyn Halvorsen - Lone Star block is a parallelogram
- "Paradiddle" - Diana Maloney (3rd place) - a real word, that means a tempo of drum rhythms (with real sound effects devices - Wow!)
- "The Moon Is Making Me Paranoid - Joanna Wilson - (1st place) - a whimsical graphic wall hanging
- "Paraclete - Joyce Perry (2nd place) - a dove on red cross blocks, representative of the Holy Spirit
- "A Pair of Paramecium in Parallel Worlds - Janet Cundiff (2nd) - pears dissected with parallel strips
- "Carter's Playtime Paraphernalia" - Debbie Hulett (2nd place)- rendition of grandson's toys as applique blocks
- "Paradise Quilt Shop - Nina Delaune (3rd place)
- "Paradise or Pears and Dice" - Georgia Narrow
SHOW & TELL:
- President's Quilts
Thelma Berg (president in 1987 ) her quilt is still a UFO to be bound. She made bow ties with the extra blocks.
Lilly Willis - Lily Pad blocks made by the members, and hand quilted by the Wed. Group.
Margie Bumm - her president's quilt was a jacket.
Melanie West - cat quilt.
Mary Felder (pres. of Patchwork Pelicans) Sunbonnet Sues appliqued and embroidered.
-Suzanne Elliott - Lady Bugs Picnic for granddaughter, Annie. Red, White, and blue 8-pointed stars.
- Nancy Clement showed a UFO (Tessellated maple leaves) and announced that this was her last meeting. She would join her family in Texas. Thanks to everyone for their sharing and their comradery, and especially Thelma Berg for all the quilt knowledge that she had shared.
- a tell - Karen Perron attended the GSQA meeting - lecturer, Linda Griffith studio suggestions: measure studio space, convert its measurements and furnishings to graph paper, manipulate. Make 3 piles: Keep, Toss, and Donate. Incorporate vertical shelving or magazine racks. Plan for a design wall.
- Beth Jessup - will teach another tote class. County Lines pattern. June 13th
- Michael Young - granddaughters, Heaven and Ember, each will have a twin-size quilt, one is Hanna Montana, the other is Dora the Explorer.
- Mary Woltmann - a UFO, 8-pointed stars in Civil War repo's, a present for a friend, Tracey
Birthday Raffle winners: Barbara Lamb, Cynthia, Suzanne, Karen Perron, Joanna Wilson, Kathy Wyble, and Glenda Parks
- After the break the "Not Ready for Paducah Players," (Margie, Mary, Joni, Beth, and Suzanne) presented a tableau on "Busted By The Quilt Police." Beth recited nearly every reason, lame excuse, or whim ever uttered by a quilter as she purchases fabric (whether needed or wanted). Beth noted that trouble starts with an innocent fat quarter purchase and quickly escalates to a "fabric monkey on your back" (like drug addiction), once you start- you cannot stop. The Quilt Police acted with an Intervention / citation. Suzanne as judge sentenced the perpetrators to finish 3 UFO projects before the year is out!! Quite funny.
Lilly Willis won the fat quarters drawing.
Debbie Hulett won the name Tag gift certificate.